Today in the one nursery class, the teachers told me to wait a moment before my lesson because one of the students had vomitted on the floor. Several of the other children who sit near the girl who vomitted were temporarily relocated while the mess was cleaned. In spite of the fact that they had been quickly moved from their usual spots, the expressions on their faces were quite unphased. Some even greeted me cheerfully as I came in. One girl who had even had much of the vomit directly deposited on her person was fairly accepting of her situation and was ready to sit down to participate in the lesson. The teachers, however, thought it would be prudent to change her clothes first.
Later on in the lesson I had the children standing up so that they could act out various modes of transportation. It was going well, but they tend to move around a lot when they're standing so I told them to sit down so I could review some of the words. There are always a few stragglers when sitting down or standing up, but the expression on one boy's face was a little uneasy and I wasn't sure if he just didn't want to sit down or what. He stayed standing in spite of my exhortations so I began to be suspicious that something was up. One of the teachers also had suspicions and immediately checked the boy's pants for wetness. He appeared to be dry but then she noticed the water on the floor. He had somehow peed straight down so that the wetness on his pants wasn't visible from first glance. Anyways, he happened to be sitting quite near to the girl who had found herself the involuntary target of vomit earlier. The teacher grabbed the girl and moved her out of the way in a manner that appeared somewhat painful for the girl. However, the situation was rather desperate. After all, there are only a certain amount of times one can change clothes in a day; and certainly one would hope that in the off chance that bodily fluids ruined your clothes twice in one day that at least once, it would be your own vomit or urine that was the cause. I believe Vanni, as the little girl is called, is in quarantine from the rest of the students for the remainder of the day, not for their sake, but for hers.

1 comment:
Post a Comment